Nixa.io is currently working with Whereby to find their next Senior Software Engineer. Whereby is on a mission to give people freedom to live and work where they thrive. They believe people do their best work when they are happy and live a meaningful life. By introducing flexibility to collaborate over video from anywhere, people can take back control of their work day and reduce the stress of balancing work and personal life.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Scaling team that runs their global infrastructure and media servers. A core responsibility will be maintenance and evolution of Whereby's in-house Selective Forwarding Unit (SFU), which is integral to the quality of service of the meeting experience we deliver. With 5 million monthly active users, 250TB of daily traffic, and a growing share of paying customers using it, Whereby want to invest in making their SFU architecture even more performant and further improve its position as an enabler for new product innovations.
How your typical week at Whereby could look like:
- Working closely with the rest of our scaling team and engineering and product managers in making their SFUs more performant, cost-effective and easy to deploy globally with various hosting providers.
- Working with browser vendors to ensure that they accommodate and take advantage of emerging changes in the WebRTC specifications and implementations.
- Understanding the SFUs at a deep level, you'll get the chance to dive deep into complex technical problems.
- Coming up with the best way to structure our data and ensuring our architecture and infrastructure is sane, secure and scalable. We strive for security and privacy by design and want things to be robust when we ship it to all users.
- Working with the team to understand challenges related to Quality of service for their users, and bringing ideas for how to work with measuring QoS, using data to identify problems and making sure they have enough information to debug them.
- Ensuring that SFUs and infrastructure are at the highest level of security at all times, adapting them to changing web standards e.g. IPv6.
- Writing easy-to-read and performant code, with tests and documentation in case you get eaten by a yeti.
- Constantly being interested in how end users use the product, and make suggestions for how to improve the user experience.
You should apply if you have:
- 10+ years of experience with software development
- Experience from WebRTC and/or RTP (preferable)
- Expert knowledge of information security principles
- Experience with managing distributed systems and architecture
- The ability to develop code in a disciplined manner with proper documentation and structure.
- The skills to communicate efficiently and to do development in collaboration with others
- Strong ability to be self-driven and take responsibility for seeing your tasks through to release
- Preferably academic background in computer science (BSc or MSc)
- You can work remotely from anywhere, but not more than +2/-6 hours from CET timezone.
- Whereby is a fast-growing scaleup with a global user base of more than 5 million users per month and $7M+ ARR, on the verge becoming a mass-market product. By joining our team now, you get a chance to take part in the journey of building up our product!
- You get to choose your own dev machine and which tools to run on them. You get to work with modern development tools like GitHub, Terraform, Amazon AWS, Slack.
- Whereby has been ranked by business users as the #1 easiest-to-use video conferencing tool, ahead of competitors like Zoom, Google Meet, Skype.
- Whereby have a remote working policy allowing people to work from anywhere and manage their own day
- They have awesome team building trips at least once a year, where they meet up in person to form personal relationships
How does the process look:
If you are interested in this position, we kindly ask you to register your profile using the button below. All applicants have to pass Nixa.io's pre-qualification process to become available for the company. The pre-qualification process consist of a 2-hour technical challenge and a short video call with someone from our team. After passing this process, your profile will become available for the company and you will be invited for a first interview if they find your profile interesting.
By completing and passing Nixa.io's pre-qualification process - you will also become a member of the Nixa.io platform. Here you can access other permanent full-time remote opportunities with global companies. Your profile will continuously be matched towards companies that are looking for your type of profile. By completing the technical screening in advance - we give you the chance to jump straight to final interviews with these companies. We want to save you the time and energy that you normally have to put in to find your next remote opportunity.